четверг, 20 сентября 2012 г.

The A List: Tunnel vision no problem for Helton.(Sports) - Rocky Mountain News (Denver, CO)

Byline: Sam Adams, Rocky Mountain News

TUCSON - Colorado Rockies manager Clint Hurdle let me wear an odd-looking pair of glasses that were sitting on his desk. For a second, I felt like Star Trek: The Next Generation's Lt. Geordi LaForge as I struggled to get a peek of light through the single, tiny hole in each solid blue lens.

At first glance, the 'I-ON Eye-Trainer' looks like a typical pair of athletic sunglasses. But the glasses, which eliminate peripheral vision, are designed to help 'keep your head on the ball and swing,' said Rockies first baseman Todd Helton.

Helton, spokesman for the new product (his picture appears on the box), said the glasses can be worn by players at all levels but that youths will benefit the most.

I-ON glasses were developed by Dr. Gregory S. Moore, a former optometrist for the Chicago Cubs.

'It's a pretty interesting deal - no gimmick to it,' Helton said. 'You put it on and all you can see is the ball. It won't guarantee you a swing, but it takes the most fundamental thing about hitting a baseball - seeing it.'

Helton said the I-ON glasses currently are available at www.i-ontheball.com. Retail sporting goods stores are expected to offer the product in March.

Go to Sam's Web page for more of The A-List.

INFOBOX

HEAT IS ON . . .

Rockies baserunners: The team stole 65 bases last season, tied for third lowest among National League teams and only five more than National League leader Jose Reyes of the New York Mets.

Call (303-892- 2623), e-mail (adamss@ Rocky Mountain News.com) or make comment on Sam's Web page.

PLANNER

* The third Legends Golf Tournament benefiting the Volunteers of America and Colorado Rockies Charity Fund will take place Aug. 16 at the Sanctuary Golf Course. Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson will be the celebrity guest. For more information, call 303-368-5208.

I HEARD THAT

* 'Spring training is a waste of time. . . . When hitters get into camp, it takes about two weeks. That's all they need.' - former major- league player John Kruk on ESPN2's Cold Pizza.