Byline: CHARLOTTE WARD
'YOU, boxing!' my colleague scoffed. 'You are about the least hard person in the office!'
Hardly the words of encouragement I wanted to hear as I psyched myself up for a sparring session with former WBC World Super-Middleweight Champion Richie Woodhall.
As my usual weekly exercise consists of a spot of light swimming and some low-impact aqua-aerobics, I was feeling rather nervous.
But at the same time, the idea of laying into a punchbag after a hard day at work did have some appeal. Maybe this could be the start of an illustrious new career as the Sunday Mercury Mauler!
And what better way to learn the ropes than with Richie, 34, who opens his new gym Box-A-Circuit, in Amblecote near Stourbridge, tomorrow.
Telford-based Richie, who retired from professional boxing in January, says the unique fitness centre will concentrate solely on circuit training using boxing techniques.
Members will be given expert advice by not only the boxer but also his dad Len, 62, who is a qualified ABA coach and trained Richie throughout his career.
Dad-of-three Richie will also be available for one-on-one sessions and says he is keen to attract both men and women to the gym.
'There was an old view that boxing was just for men,' says Richie. 'But in the last five years I have seen a real change. There are loads of women who love boxing as they see it as a great way to train and work out.'
With this in mind Richie and Len have put together several work-outs that will provide both sexes with cardio-vascular exercise to condition their heart and lungs, lose weight and improve their mental alertness.
At first glance the studio where the sessions take place was like a foreign world to me. Several menacing punchbags were hanging from the ceiling and, being a woman who really does hit like a girl, I had visions of Richie collapsing into fits of laughter over my feeble attempts to throw a punch.
Luckily for me, Richie had me sussed. After a warm-up, he set about teaching me the proper position your body should be in before you even attempt to box. 'A lefty, eh?' he teased of my left-handed status. 'I don't like lefties in the ring, you never know what they are going to do!'
With my feet in the correct position and my fist clenched and slightly tilted inwards in front of my face, I was beginning to feel a bit more credible.
After helping me to pull on a huge pair of yellow boxing gloves, Richie put on a pair of pads and encouraged me to punch them with my right fist, then my left.
There was a lot to think about. At the same time as throwing a punch with my right and getting the correct position with my fist, I had to remember to keep my face protected with my left hand. 'Where's your left hand going, Charlotte?' Richie seemed to utter again and again as I absentmindedly allowed it to drift down. Moving on, I faced my first punchbag. Richie explained that during the hour-long circuit sessions members would work in pairs, taking it in turns to spend 30 seconds on each punchbag.
'It's not about whacking it as hard as you can,' he told me. 'I want you to concentrate on accuracy.'
Well, I was hardly Muhammad Ali, but with Richie's watchful eye and encouragement I was feeling a lot more confident.
And when my first swing was met with cries of 'Good!' from my enthusiastic mentor, I felt really geared up!
The next punchbag was a speed ball propelled on two springs.
'This'll be good for your reactions,' Richie said.
'Remember - the harder you hit it, the faster it is going to move, so the key is not to hit it too hard.'
I'm not sure how many times I ATTEMPTED to hit the speed ball but my shots-on-target ratio must have been very poor. But Richie, bless him, didn't even smirk as I lashed around like an idiot, repeatedly missing my aim.
'Imagine how much better you'd be after a few sessions,' he enthused. 'It's amazing how quickly it speeds up your reactions.'
After another, slightly better, encounter with a speed ball, I moved on to a punchbag shaped like a body with a face.
'Imagine it's your gaffer!' grinned Richie. Who I actually thought about as I pounded my fists into the face will remain my little secret.
In what seemed like no time at all the session was over and I wound down with some stretch exercises.
I told Richie that I felt great and was keen to go back for another session in the future.
Later that night, back at home, I was still feeling empowered as I circled my friend, menacingly showing off my new moves.
'I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee,' I snarled at him.
'You wish,' he replied dryly. The next morning, I was feeling a lot less cocky. It felt as if every muscle in my upper body was aching and even changing gear in my car left me wincing.
Overnight I was transformed from Mauler to Moaner - and didn't my colleagues know about it!
But despite my whimpering I would definitely go back for more. I may be no match for Lennox Lewis but boxing training is great fun.
Membership for Box-A-Circuit costs pounds 15 per quarter and pounds 10 per session. For more information call 01384 394949.
BOXING CHAMP'S GUIDE TO THROWING A RIGHT JAB
TOP TIPS... clench your fists in front of your chin with your wrists slightlyturned inwards. Keeping your chin down, look up and step into the punch, twisting your wrist so your fist is facing into your target. Keep your guard up
CAPTION(S):
TAKE THAT... Charlotte takes aim on a speed ball under the watchful eye of former boxing world champion Richie Woodhall